1. Prepare the pie crust according to the recipe instructions for blind baking.
2. Wrap the purple sweet potatoes in foil, prick them with a fork and bake them together with the pie crust until tender
3. Preheat the oven to (350F). Peel the baked potatoes and add them to the bowl of your food processor. Then, add melted butter, evaporated and coconut milk, eggs, and vanilla. Process everything together until it becomes a smooth creamy consistency.
4. Pour purple sweet potato filling into your cooled pie shell and bake for 40-45 minutes. You can cover the whole pie with foil to prevent the crust from becoming too dark. Your pie is done when you can inset a knife into the potato layer and it comes out clean.
5. Once the pie is baked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature for a few hours, or overnight in the fridge.
6. For the Haupia Topping, make a slurry by stirring together sugar, com starch, water and, if using, rum. In a medium pot, bring the coconut milk to a boil and stir in the slurry. Stirring all the time, let the custard cook about 5 minutes or until it turns shiny and reaches a glue-like consistency.
7. Pour the custard topping on top of the cooled sweet potato pie and sprinkle with toasted coconut
Lovers of exotic desserts will love this vibrant Purple Sweet Potato Pie! This popular Hawaiian dessert is topped with a rich Coconut Custard (Haupia) and sprinkled with toasted sweetened coconut!